You may find this hard to believe, but I actually love shopping for men.
Lately, I’ve been buying birthday gifts for my male friends, and that got me thinking — I should share some of what I’ve bought… here with you…
1. ALEX MILL CASHMERE SOCKS, $65. — When Alex Mill CEO Mickey Drexler told me he was launching cashmere socks because he couldn’t find chic ones anywhere else, I thought, “This should be good.” They don’t call Mickey the “merchant prince” for nothing. Get these socks in all 4 colors and your man’s feet will be happy all winter long.
2. THOM BROWNE FULLY FASHIONED MERINO KNIT CREW NECK PULLOVER, $900. — If you’re not familiar with this sweater, well, you should be. This is the iconic Thom Browne sweater; it comes in several colors, but navy is my favorite.
4. PRADA WOOL AND CASHMERE JACQUARD SCARF, $860. — For the fashion-forward man in your life, I give you this Prada scarf. I’ve fallen in love with Prada all over again, ever since Raf Simons started collaborating with Mrs. Prada. The Fall and Resort collections (on the women’s side) are to die for, PS.
5. BRUNELLO CUCINELLI RIBBED CASHMERE SCARF, $745. — For the more classically-dressed man, this is the ultimate scarf. Grey — goes with everything, check. Cashmere — comfy and luxurious, check. Unisex — ladies, you can borrow it, check.
6.TURNBULL & ASSER SEVEN-FOLD NAVY LACE SILK TIE, $450. — I have a friend who only wears navy ties, with good reason. Elegant, sexy, chic. I love a man in a suit. And I especially love a man in a suit with a navy tie. And bonus points if you’re wearing this seven-fold tie that takes three-and-a-half hours to make and uses double the amount of silk of a regular tie.
7. CHARVET X THORSUN SWIM TRUNKS, $395. — My friend George Sotelo, founder of Thorsun Swim, has an ongoing collaboration with Charvet and the mashup of his men’s swim trunks in Charvet tie prints is marvelous. Buy a few.
8. PATEK PHILIPPE NAUTILUS BLUE DIAL STAINLESS STEEL WATCH, $165,000. — When money is no object, this really is the ultimate gift for a man. My favorite men’s watch of all time. The Rolls Royce of gifts.
9. LA MAISON DU CHOCOLAT ORANGETTES, 68 PIECES, $87. — Need a palate cleanser after seeing the price of the Patek watch? Here it is, literally. For some reason, a lot of men I know (and respect) love candied orange peels covered in dark chocolate. Leonard Lauder is a fan. So is John Demsey. Get the ones from La Maison du Chocolat, they’re the best.
10. TOM FORD SMALL GRAIN LEATHER CARDHOLDER, $350. — I love using a card holder as a wallet, and so do most men I know. This one by Tom Ford comes with four card slots and a central pocket. Comes in sand (pictured here) and black.