If you consider shopping a sport, well, then you’ve come to the right place.
Paris, New York, London – even Seoul and Rome – are traditional shopping capitals… but the Hamptons has its own allure.
Yes, the major designers are here – Valentino, Gucci, Michael Kors, Manolo Blahnik… along with Zimmermann, Ulla Johnson and Goop…
But you already know those shops are great.
What this list provides is something you might not know… the best place to go for hostess gifts… lingerie… first edition books… vintage lamps… and, of course, designer clothes.
Like the restaurant scene in the Hamptons, the retail shops come and go…Hermès is here one day, Loro Piana the next… rents are high… and the season is typically short. That said… here are my...
1. KIRNA ZABÊTE, 66 Newtown Ln, East Hampton: Kirna Zabête is owned by one of my best friends, Beth Buccini, so it’s no surprise “KZ” made the list. Objectively, though, you won’t find a better edit of designer clothes and accessories – including jewelry – out East. Top-selling brands include Christian Dior, Khaite, Bottega Veneta and Love Thy Rival jewelry.
2. THE MONOGRAM SHOP, 19 Newtown Ln, East Hampton: If I have a dinner party to attend, I almost always stop at The Monogram Shop for a hostess gift. Here, you’ll find everything from cocktail napkins that say, “Anybody seen my contractor,” to monogrammed terry cloth cosmetic bags to Grey Malin Lucite trays.
3. COMPLEMENTS, 2486 Montauk Hwy, Bridgehampton: This is my go-to place for lingerie: pajama sets, Marie Jo bra and panty sets, slips, robes, you name it. Jo, the owner, is so sweet, she’ll special order anything you need that’s out of stock.
4. MARNI MARINE AT SUNSET BEACH, 35 Shore Rd, Shelter Island: Marni, the Italian fashion house known for its eclectic prints, has taken over the shop at the famed Sunset Beach Hotel on Shelter Island. Great dresses, bags, hats, pillows, and special Marni Market pieces you won’t find anywhere else.
5. BLACK CAT BOOKS, 54 N Ferry Rd, Shelter Island: I discovered Black Cat Books years ago when an ex-boyfriend asked if we could stop in (he was a first edition book addict). It’s a small, two-story shop packed with 20-thousand titles – everything from first edition copies of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote to the very first Loaves and Fishes Cookbook by the late Anna Pump.
6. KATIE LEEDE AND CO, 23 Washington St, Sag Harbor: I ran into Katie Leede a week ago at the Guild Hall Gala looking chic as ever… which is exactly how I would describe her shop. Walk in and you’ll feel right at home… hand-blown mercury lamps from the 1940s to Geraldine Neuwirth artwork to fabrics and wallpaper designed by Leede herself.
7. LAZYPOINT VARIETY, 171 Main St, Amagansett: The ultimate shop for the Bohemian in all of us. I’ve known owner Claudja Bicalho ever since she worked at Tracy Feith in Southampton (diehards will remember that store). Claudja has an incredible eye… here, you’ll find Soler floral house dresses, Farella cashmere wraps, Nina Runsdorf jewelry and much more.
8. TIINA THE STORE, 216 Main St, Amagansett: A favorite of designers Michael Kors and Peter Pilotto. Owner Tiina Laakkonen, a former model and design assistant for Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel, values uniqueness and her selection reflects that philosophy. I recently bought a herringbone oversized cashmere wrap by Alonpi that I know I won’t see on anyone else.
9. HENRY LEHR, locations in Southampton, Sag Harbor, East Hampton, Amagansett: Best place to go for casual clothes in the Hamptons. Great t-shirts, jeans, Golden Goose sneakers, cashmere scarves and sweaters.
10. THE 8TH DRIFTER, 752 Montauk Hwy, Montauk: Billed as a home goods store – and it’s true, you will find great candles with names like Wild Fig & Vetiver and Sagebrush & Fir – but I love the raffia bags and sandals and beach coverups by sustainable brands like Studio Tia.
What are your favorite shops in the Hamptons? And, if you ever stop by any of these... let them know who sent you! x A