I don’t know about you, but I’m of two minds...
On the one hand, I can’t let go of summer.
And yet, I’m ready for fall… as in fall clothes. More specifically, fall coats.
As crazy as it sounds, die-hard shoppers buy their coats and boots in August or September. October, latest.
If you wait until you actually need the stuff, well, you’re usually out of luck.
So, instead of spending hours online… or perusing the racks… here’s the one list you need if you’re in the market for a new winter coat.
1. BOTTEGA VENETA BELTED SHEARLING COAT, $8900. – This is what you call an “investment piece” – chic, cozy, luxurious. Comes in lavender and black, too.
2. STAND STUDIO FAUX-FUR DOUBLE-BREASTED COAT, $495. – If you can’t afford the Bottega Veneta shearling (let’s be honest, only a few of us can), here’s a great alternative for a fraction of the price.
3. KHAITE FINNA COAT, $2900. – This wool coat with a faux-fur collar is hands down the chicest coat of the season. Comes in black and heather grey, but I love the emerald.
4. MICHAEL KORS COLLECTION FLANNEL PUFFER JACKET, $2250. – Only Michael Kors would come up with this genius invention – a puffer coat that can also be worn as a cape – just unzip the sleeves et voilà.
5. CHLOÉ “PUFFCHO”, $3395. – What’s a puffcho, you ask? Only the hottest must-have item of the season. Chloé’s new designer, Gabriela Hearst, introduced this puffer-meets-poncho at her debut show and fashion editors everywhere swooned. Hearst also designed two striped versions, but I love it in black.
6. ALAÏA LEOPARD-PRINT COTTON-VELVET COAT, $5490. – This standout coat is to be worn only if you want to be noticed. But it's also classic and timeless. I always say leopard is a neutral – goes with everything.
7. JW ANDERSON MONTGOMERY WOOL-FELT COAT, $1495. – This modern take on the traditional duffle coat features a Peter Pan collar and hammered gold buttons instead of toggles. It’s a lot of look for the price.
8. TOM FORD DOUBLE CASHMERE PEAK LAPEL COAT, $8450. – Let me just say that I own this coat (it was a gift) and it is the chicest, most wearable coat I’ve ever owned. This double cashmere bathrobe coat falls under the category of “If you can only have one, get this one.” Start saving now.
9. SAINT LAURENT BELTED LEATHER-TRIMMED TRENCH COAT, $3600. – Imagine what you’d wear to lunch at Café de Flore in Paris: this is it. The ultimate trench with black leather trim. What could be better?
10. LA DOUBLEJ ST. MORITZ JACKET, $975. – I’m a big fan of writer-turned-designer J.J. Martin’s clothes, so it’s no surprise that I also love her coats. This chic puffer could land in my closet in the next few weeks.
Hope this guide inspires you… I know many of the options here are very expensive… but I wanted you to see the best of the best. Look for similar items that fit in your budget… I always do!